Thursday, February 15, 2007

el mundo se ha vuelto loco

p

Tonight we will have an asado with the esteemed Naza, his lovely girlfriend, and their adorable pitbull, Dayak to mark the near-end of Shane’s epic tattooing ordeal. I have to buy a bunch of produce so I am examining my supermarket options and as I do, I always wonder what awaits me as I step out of my front door on to the city streets.

I have begun collected big city anecdotes. Every day in Buenos Aires, I discover a moment of such immense weirdness that I have to put it in my mental savings account. The other day as I was walking home from my boss’s house, I saw a disabled midget banging on the hood of a car in pleno Avenida Independencia and cursing holy hell because an unsuspecting driver nearly killed him as he sped his motorized wheelchair about 20 miles an hour against traffic in the bike lane. Just not the kind of scene you witness every day in Santa Barbara. Then there was the time that Shane and I walked past a man in a lab coat with a folding card table strewn with medical instruments leaned up against a magazine stand and sitting…just sitting. I guess the doctor is in. Of course there is always my favorite, Calle Lavalle and the old man who plays high-pitched, barely-audible, out of tune recorder jams in a dirty grey suit and inexplicable white-powdered face.

Strangeness unravels all around me and continues to every day. Though in this kind of heat and no respite from the humidity… we all go a little crazy sometimes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love when you update.

xo
canada

clarabella said...

i love my little canadian

xo
clarabelle